Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sunday in Amsterdam

We went to another different church this past Sunday. It's called Christ's Chruch; an English speaking Anglican church that is over 300 years old here in Amsterdam. It was a very uplifting worship service with some very familiar songs to prick my heart; "Holy, Holy, Holy", "Days of Elijah", "Blessed Be Your Name". There were tears, but tears of joy & closeness with God. We met a young man who came in & sat beside us with his young 3 yr old son who had been a missionary in Howard Lake, MN!!! How strange is this?!

After church, we came home & had some lunch then took a walk (long walk) down the Amstel River. We saw lots of beautiful sights that I'll share but it was a beautiful day. I did get some "blues" later in the day...missing Super Bowl Sunday with my family! I was able to get it on ESPN.com; just a play-by-play description but Regan & Tyler Skyped with me the whole game & made it more fun. It didn't start until 12:30am here & ended about 4:30am!!! Needless to say, I slept in yesterday & just laid low!! I'm too old for that all night stuff!!

Christ's Church, where we worshipped Sunday. It was full by the time worship started.


Theatre Carre; the place to go for plays & concerts.

Amstel Hotel~very upscale

One of thousands of houseboats on the Amstel River & various canals.


Some are quite modern.

Magere Brug or "Skinny Bridge"

Skulling...is that what this is called?

Hope you're all enjoying my pictures of this amazingly beautiful city. I feel very blessed & privileged to be living here in this fairy tale place. Tot zeins!!

4 comments:

  1. These pictures are INCREDIBLE! Look forward to reading this blog more throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recent and older posts have great pictures. Thanks for taking and posting them. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about all the sights and sounds of Amsterdam and beyond while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love your photos and your posts! It is so interesting to see what you (and Ed!) are up to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I'll have to admit; most of this is just me. Ed is working his tail off over here...I'm here for moral support & to help out the Dutch economy!! :<))

    ReplyDelete