Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To the palace...

Well, off this morning to the Koninklijk Paleis (The Royal Palace). Very excited to get to see where Queen Beatrix hangs out when she's not...well, somewhere else. So I head down the Kalverstraat (shopping street) very excited to visit Queen Bea. Well, I get there & the Palace is closed!!! Can you believe it?! So...plan B! I head next door to the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church). I was excited to view this centuries old beautiful cathedral; so I pay my 15euro admission (that's sure a lot to view a church) but oh well. I get inside & there is no church tour; no worship services held there...it's an artistic display entitled "The Main Dynasties of the Islamic World". Fascinating & beautiful but I would not have paid 15euro to see it. Ended up being a fairly interesting display...say copies of the Qur'an from the early 8-9th centuries among other things.

So I spent the rest of the day at the grocery store (what?! grocery store again?!?!?). Yes, tried to learn some Dutch in the food department. I find that's the best place...not working very well yet. Anywho...thought I'd share some pictures from my day.
Traffic is starting to move a little more on the canals. Tour boats & barges go by every morning.

Inside of the Nieuwe Kerk...wasn't supposed to take any pictures but after paying 15 euro, I figured they owed me at least that!!!

Kalverstraat: shopping street we walk daily.

Very large street music box playing in the shopping district.


At one time the Amsterdam Town Gate;  1604 or so. Bell tower rings all day & night.

Yes, girls, I found the Mac Store...right around the corner, practically!!!

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much love seeing the pics. Thanks for posting. Helps me visualize what you guys are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos as well!!
    Totally agree that you were 'owed' a photo or 2 of the church, 15 euros--that is outrageous!

    ReplyDelete